Sunday, June 06, 2010

Blu Ray Headache

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to stream Netflix movies right to your TV instead of having to watch them on computer. Sit on the couch and be comfortable. Well if you buy a Blu Ray machine that is WiFi equipped it's just a few simple steps and your up an running.

That is unless you're not.

And I'm not.

Gave Samsung one more try to get the thing to work. No luck. I was going to be passed on to level 3 of tech service. I would get a call back in the next 24 hours. I said no thanks. I went to Best Buy to return it.

I'd done research and the LG looked like a good bet.

I got to Best Buy and told them why I was returning it. One of the women behind the counter said this was the second time this week (it was only Wednesday) that someone had returned a Blu Ray player because they couldn't connect. This one was a Sony. She said this is supposed to be plug and play and it's just not there yet. I agreed.

I picked out the LG unit. I got in line to pay. The other women who helped me said trying again. I said yes I am. Then I added if this one doesn't work. She finished my sentence then you could bring that one back too.

Got it back home set it up. I like the opening menu better on the LG. Set things up. Everything seems to be going well. I have a good signal to the internet. I have a good signal for the local network.

I'm all set. Netflix here I come. Except it can't connect to Netflix or to any of the other net options offered. I call tech support. We run through some things. Can't get the thing to work. She then asks what speed is your connection. I say I don't know. Well she says it needs to be 2.5 Mpbs.

I call Earthlink and we do a speed test. My connection speed is only 1.5 Mpbs. So I get an upgrade which will take 24 to 48 hours.

Friday I check and the speed has been upgraded. Try to connect to Netflix still no luck.

Saturday I call early in the morning. I won't go through everything but the bottom line is I'm still not connected. Everything we did was documented in the 40 or so minutes I was on with the tech person. It is being sent on to an engineer who will be calling me back. As to when well I wasn't told that.

I decided I was not going to ruin my birthday by thinking about it. So I didn't. And I had a really good birthday.

Oh I did do one thing when I was out shopping. I stopped by the Apple store and asked if it could be something with the router. I told them how it was set up. They guy seemed to think the router was fine. There was something wrong with my machine. And that's where I left it.

I'm giving LG until Wednesday to contact me. They it is back to Best Buy. This time around I'm just going to be buying your basic Blu Ray player.

No comments: