Thursday, April 30, 2020

"Vacant" Houses in my Neighborhood

In my walks around my neighborhood (something I do several times a day), I’ve notice something. There are more than a few houses that are vacant. I don’t mean vacant in that the house is empty but vacant as classified by the city as in they are falling apart and no one lives in them anymore.
The roofs of the front porches are collapsing. The paint is pealing if there is any paint at all on the house. Windows are boarded up or broken. One had been a house converted into a church. Another one even had it’s front door open. I peeked into that one. I found a house that looked like it had been gutted (see the pictures below). In fact it looks like it was being renovated but work stopped on it. You can tell the properties are vacant by the tell tale green sticker on a door or window.

Again there are not many of these vacant houses. But all of those pictured below are in about a six to seven block radius from my house. The other thing to realize is these properties will continue to deteriorate over time. I also wondering what it must be like living next to one of these derelicts. Certainly can’t be increasing the property value.

I also wondering what is going to happen to these places. For most, the pictures only show what is on the outside. I can only imagine what the inside of the houses look like. How would you ever renovate such a place? And finally what is the city going to do with them.









No comments: