Saturday, July 11, 2020

A Good Morning Ride

Back on the bike early this morning 5:30 to be exact. Went 14.59 miles. I rode down to the Lincoln Memorial. I thought this might be first time no one was taking wedding pictures but just as I was about to leave three couples showed up. I think the idea is to get the pictures in as the sun is rising over the Washington Monument.



I went across the Memorial Bridge and then went north toward Rosslyn and Teddy Roosevelt island. I forgot about the wooden slatted bridge you have to ride on. I don't particularly like that bridge very much. I have the fear that I going to play the coyote in one of the Road Runner cartoons and one of the planks on the bridge is going to hit me when I ride over it. Also riding across the bridge is hard on my bum.


There were very few people out this morning so riding through Georgetown was a breeze. I had to ride on the sidewalk for a little while and I have to say I don't like the red brick sidewalks. There's always a brick or two that are loose and unnerves me.


One thing I have noticed is that my sense of balance on the bike is not very good. I'm hoping that will improve the longer I ride. I really notice it when I slow down. I feel for some reason that I'm going to tip over. I think this might be due in part because I tense up.


I'm hoping tomorrow to ride to at least Gravelly Point and maybe a little beyond. I don't think I'm going to try for Mt. Vernon until the weather cools down a little. Which considering how this heat wave has no end in sight to it, might be a little while.




No comments: