Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Christmas Time Is Here in October

I was at the Home Depot over the weekend. Their Christmas decorations were out in full force. I’m not just talking about lights. I’m talking artificial trees. Those blow up things that you can put on your lawn. One has Santa in a balloon. Where the hell did that come from?

I saw Halloween decorations and candy out in stores before Labor Day. There was a rather large display in the Giant Foods down from my house. Over the past few weeks the Halloween displays have only gotten bigger and bigger. Withe candy being put out so early, it makes you wonder how fresh the candy is going to be almost two months later when you hand it out. That reminds me of the story my dad told me when he worked at Ace Hardware. I was home for Christmas and he said the Valentine’s Day candy had just come in. A good seven weeks before Valentine’s Day. I decided then and there never to buy any sort of holiday candy from Ace.

Of course retailers are getting things out earlier and earlier these days. I understand why Home Depot did it. It really doesn’t have anything to sell related to Halloween so why not just put the stuff out for Christmas now.

It’s also interesting how over time Thanksgiving has disappeared as a holiday. Retailers essentially ignore it. Things are up for Halloween and then transition into Christmas. Well actually things are up for both of them at the same time these days. Once Labor Day happens up all the stuff goes for both holidays. Thanksgiving is still a big travel and food holiday but that’s all it is these days.

Guess the Great Pumpkin can’t be too far away.

No comments: