Monday, February 19, 2007

HDTV great, DirecTV not so great

I am still amazed at the quality of the picture with HDTV. Fantastic! I just wish there were more stations broadcasting in HD.You really notice the quality of the picture at sporting events. Not so much the close ups of the players but the wider shots. I’m watching a lot of basketball and the shots of the full court you can really make out individual people in the stands. Also crystal clear is the shot from the top of the basket when a guy is shooting free throws. Some of the movies I’ve watched on HBO make you feel like you’re in a movie theater.

Too bad DirecTV isn’t up to the same standards. I got the bill on Saturday. On the bill I was charged for leasing 3 receivers and a pro-rated charge for HD service. When HD receiver was installed the old receiver was left behind. This was just an oversight on the installers part. I hadn’t gotten around to finding out how to return it. However, the HD receiver I bought at Best Buy and so I shouldn’t have been paying any sort of lease fee.

Now to the HD charge. I’d been told that my first year of HD service would be free. I was told that on no less than three times.

I decided to call DirecTV. They have a really annoying automated answering system. I was finally able to get through to someone. I explained my problems with the bill. She then put me on hold so that she could review the account. Well she never came back on-line. I was on hold for about another five minutes and then I was disconnected.

So I called again. I get through again and explain again the problem with the bill. So he brings up my account information. He then asks when the HD receiver was installed because under the station plan I have I should get 4 months free. I’m thinking to myself why do I need to tell the guy when the HD service was installed when he has the account information on his screen. He said he would send me some FedEx form so that I could return the receiver. He was also able to give me a $40 credit toward HD service but would not be able to give me the HD service free for a year. In order for that to happen I would have to talk to someone else.

On to another person. Had to explain everything again. In the end she was able to give me a $10 credit. I would still have the HD charge show up on the bill but then I would get a $10 credit. In the end I was able to get everything I wanted but it took almost an hour to do it..

Like I said HDTV great; DirecTV needs some improvement.

No comments: