Monday, July 30, 2007

Dog Fighting and Michael Vick

A whole host of stories about Michael Vick and his alleged dog-fighting ring.

A story on his plea.
A story on one of his co-defendants taking a deal.
Vick order to stay out of training camp.
The NAACP asking for fairness.

I could list many more. Nike suspending his shoe line. etc.

First off, I have to say I've never been one to buy into the hype about Vick being one of the best players in the NFL. He is very interesting to watch there is no question about it. His running ability is fantastic but his passing ability leaves a great deal to be desired. Vick has never measured up to the hype.

I was trying to figure out how I feel about all of this media frenzy over the dog fighting. It is interesting that the NAACP asked for fairness where it concerns Vick. I wonder what its position was on the Duke Lacrosse players.

But the cable "news" wasted no time on it. Nancy Grace has show after show after show on it (I don't watch the show but it is hard not to notice what she has on when you are surfing channels). In fact on her show was played an actual dog fight. It was played over and over and over again (I actually did stop and watched this. I could not for the life of me believe that this was being shown but then I remembered whose show it was). All sorts of "experts" were brought in to voice their opinions on what should be done. Ms Grace is once again serving as judge and jury. She has to be one of the biggest wind bags on cable except of course for the biggest: Bill O'Reilly.

So I'm going to hold off on deciding on Mr. Vick and let the legal system takes its course (I know what a concept). If Mr. Vick is guilty, his career is over and it may be over even if he is found not guilty.

The bottom line is that this is just a gross and disgusting thing to do to another living thing.

No comments: