Sunday, October 07, 2007

"This government does not torture people"

So says our president and that should put all questions to rest on whether the US tortures people. But I guess it depends on what the definition of torture is. And we have absolutely no idea the tactics used by the government. We should probably not know all of the methods used to extract information from our enemies. But on the other hand this administration has played fast and loose on what the accepted rules are that questions should be asked. Here are a couple of links to stories. This is about more torture memos surfacing. This on Bush defending US methods.

The bottom line is once again the Bush administration is saying "trust us" when we say we don't torture. The only problem is that no one believes that line any more. One wonders why the Bush people think it will still persuade people.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck said...

Why is it in my head I'm hearing "it deepnds on what your definition of 'is' is."? I don't believe anything the Bushies say. If they told me what my name was, I'd want independent verification.

Jason in DC said...

Your name is Jad Schmorco. Don't you remember?

Yes I immediately thought of Clinton when I head the "denial."