Monday, November 05, 2007

Odds and Ends

Daylight savings time fades

Spring ahead; fall back. Well yesterday we fell back. There are a couple of things I’d like to say about that.

The first is the notion that you get an extra hour of sleep. My dad puts it very well when he says you only get the extra hour if you can sleep the extra hour which I usually can never do. I woke up at my normal time of 6 am but of course it was really 5 am. I stayed in bed for about another hour. I was hoping against hope that I’d be able to fall back to sleep but to no avail. I got up and received a very dirty look from Sam. He then curled back up and went to right back to sleep. Cats!!

The other thing I’d like to mention is how people bemoan the fact that with the change in time it gets dark so early. I actually kind of enjoy it getting that dark that early. It means that fall has arrived and winter and the holidays are not too far behind. Now I will saw that toward the end of January I’m getting a little sick of it getting dark so early but by then daylight is beginning to return.

Up early

So as I said I was up early on Sunday. I thought I could get some things done. When I refer to things I of course mean cleaning. I went around and changed all of the clocks. I decided before I would start I’d send out some e-mails and do a post ot the blog about the MidCity Artists gallery open house on Saturday and Sunday. One of my friends was in it.(more about that later). I’m in the middle of sending an e-mail to Art about the time we’ll talk later in the day on Skype when the screen goes blank. The power had gone off.

I checked to see if the power was off in the whole house which it was. I went down into the basement to see if maybe I’d blown a fuse. No blown fuses. I then went outside. I looked down the street and the stop light a block away was out. So it was the whole street that had gone down. I go back into the house and call the power company. I call the 24-hour outage line. I get a recording stating that the outage had already been reported and that power should be restored sometime around 9 am.

I figure I could still clean. But that was a little easier said then done. I ended up throwing some magazines away and doing a little dusting. I also did the dished and cleaned the kitchen counter and the stove. But when you don’t have power it sort of limits the way you can go about cleaning your house. I ended up going outside and cutting back some bushes that I’d been meaning to do for many weeks.

MidCity Artists

This was what my post was going to be about. MidCity Artists:

are a diverse and talented group of nearly 40 professional artists who have come together for the purpose of promoting their art, and the Dupont/Logan neighborhoods they call home. It is an opportunity to integrate their art with the fast growing retail and commercial concerns that are located in this area. They are here to let you know that “there is more than a real-estate boom in Mid City - there is a group of extraordinarily talented artists who have quietly made a name for themselves by offering great art at affordable prices to the insiders who know them. The local Community has discovered this treasure, and you can discover it, too.


My friend Tom Drymon was one of the artists. I stopped by a couple of places on the way over to his apartment. I was going to stay for a little while and the go on and see some of the other artists. But several people that I hadn’t seen for awhile stopped by Tom’s placed and we ended up talking until around 6:30. It was a great deal of fun. Also about 50 people came through to look at his work and I found about the same number on Sunday. So all in all a very good weekend.

No comments: