Monday, July 21, 2008

Odds and Ends

A few random thoughts and occurrences that have happened recently.

Chandra Levy Case
The Post is running a multi-part series on Chandra Levy. This is how the Post introduces the series on the linked page:

The Chandra Levy case captivated the world. Last year, The Washington Post decided to find out why her murder remains unsolved.


All I remember is the overwhelming amount and over the top coverage on this story. It was summer 2001 in Washington a slow news time and this story took on a life of its own. I remember walking past the apartment building Levy lived in seeing yellow ribbons tied around trees outside the building. Of course the story grew once a Congressman was found to be in the mix.

At the time, I thought the media lost a great opportunity to focus on the number of people who disappeared each day. After months of coverage of the case (Levy disappeared in May) one of the local stations started to feature other local people who’d disappeared and were still unaccounted for.

Then September 11 came and everything changed.

It is still of course a huge tragedy what happened to Chandra Levy. However, I will ask, why should her case get a 12 part series in the Post say as opposed to anyone else who disappeared and was tragically killed.

DirecTV
I got rid of my second receiver from DirecTV. It was attached to the TV that was in the room off my bedroom. I hardly ever watched TV there. The few times I did use it I had to call DirecTV up and ask them to activate the thing. I do use the TV in the room but I use it to watch a movie.

I finally got around to calling them and saying I wanted to return the receiver. They said they would send out a box via FedEx. All I had to do was follow the instructions and return the box. Well I called them the beginning of June. I didn’t get the box until around July 4. I’d just about given up hope that I get ride of the thing.

I boxed the receive up. There were two pieces of packing material that I was supposed to use. The problem was that the receiver was much smaller than the box. So the packing material wouldn’t prevent the receiver from being knocked around in the box. I had to add some newspaper to prevent that. It seems to DirecTV might have mentioned that in the instructions. They did mention in large print I needed to return the receiver in seven days or I could be charged $475. I sent in back in a couple of days.

Commercials
Arby’s is running an ad for some new sandwich that it has. It has cheese on it. And the cheese well it just looks completely gross. It looks the “cheese” that’s added to the nachos you get at a movie theater. I then started taking a good look at other sandwich commercials and all the cheese in all of them looked like that. I felt like as you ate the thing you could listen to your arteries harden.

It seems to me that companies would try and make their food look appetizing. Needless to say I won’t be visiting Arby’s any time soon.

1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

Saying "The Chandra Levy case captivated the world" is a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here it was no more than a passing curiosity. In fact, I couldn't even remember who she was until you mentioned the details. We get more interested in people who disappear here, though they're usually found.

What a coincidence—we're getting rid of our extra decoder, too. And your mentioning it reminded me to do something about it.

You know, the cheese in America is one of the first things that Kiwis notice—especially the bright orange stuff. Which is not to say that cheese sauces used at fast food restaurants here are more real (though they sometimes certainly are), but at least you don't need sunglasses to look at it.