Monday, February 16, 2009

Pompeii and the Roman Villa at the National Gallery of Art























This was an incredible exhibit. They've brought over some very incredible pieces. One of the most impressive was a fresco called Apollo and the muse Clio. As the brochure says:

Frescoed on the walls of one of its dining rooms are images of the god Apollo, patron of liberal arts, flanked by muses. Their presence would have reminded guests of the pleasures of intellectual and creative conversations, the ideal at any Roman banquet.










































This is a somewhat controversial exhibit installed on the moving walk way between the two wings of the Gallery. It is called Multiverse by Leo Villareal.



































In honor of the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth, there are all sorts of special exhibits honoring him. The National Gallery has the models used for the building of the Lincoln Memorial and the actual statue.









































The always beautifully decorated rotunda of the West Gallery.
























































After seeing the Pompeii exhibit, I stumbled on this one while seeing the impressionists at the West Gallery.

4 comments:

Arthur Schenck said...

Didn't you see some of that Pompeii stuff in place?

The photo of the Multiverse thing reminds me a bit of the neon artwork in the walkway connecting concourses at Terminal One (United) at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, which opened in the late 80s, I think it was. Anyway, the first time I went there, I heard an ethereal chanting and I thought how cool it was that they were playing Laurie Anderson (it reminded me a bit of "O Superman"). When I got close to the end of the walkway, I realised it was an announcement: "The walkway is ending--please look down." I never looked at that thing the same way again.

Anonymous said...

Once again, thanks for the photos and virtual tour of D.C. I have yet to go there, but it's on my list to visit one of these days (I'm a west coaster).

Turner Publishing said...

Hey Jason!

First off, I promise I’m not spam. I’m with Turner Publishing and we have a book titled “Historic Photos of Washington, DC” by local author Matthew Gilmore that we were hoping might interest you. I’m going around to all the bloggers asking if they’d like to receive a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for a possible review on their blog. This book is a 10x10 gift book showing a pictorial narrative of DC through beautiful photos pulled from archives. If you are interested, please email me with your address and I’ll have one shipped out to you right away. If you have any questions, you can visit our website at www.turnerpublishing.com or give me a call at the number listed below. We'd appreciate any feedback given and would love the opportunity to work with you! I appreciate the time you've given my email and hope to hear from you soon!
Liz Chenery
lchenery@turnerpublishing.com
615-255-2665

Jason in DC said...

What a very generous offer and I will be taking you up on it shortly. I'm looking forward to seeing the book. Thanks again.