Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sink Repair

I have to say I'm not all that much of a do-it-yourselfer. I'm rather all thumbs when it comes to fixing things around the house. I can do some things but not a great deal. I will also have to say I haven't had to fix many things around the house (knock on wood). There was the problem with the central air but I wasn't going to be fixing that. Also had to replace the garbage disposal. That involved electricity and I don't do that.

The upshot of all this is that the sink in the bathroom had a drip from the faucet. It's been happening on and off for the past week or so. At first if I fooled around with the faucet repeatedly turning it on and off, the leak would stop. Then I would have to slam the handle down and I could get it to stop. In the last few days nothing would make it stop dripping. The drip was also getting progressively worse.

I thought that I could fix this. I could get on the internet and find some instructions maybe even a video to show me what to do. So I fired up the computer and Googled away. Lots and lots of hits on fixing a faucet. I thought this is great. I looked at site after site and they really didn't have my exact faucet. Finally after a great deal of searching I found what I was looking for. I have a cartridge faucet at least I'm pretty sure I have that one. There was even a video.

This morning I decided I would throw caution to the wind and fix the damn thing. I gather up all my tools and set off upstairs. The first thing you need to do is turn off the water. There are two shut off valves underneath the sink. I turned the first one no problem. The second one well here's where things got interesting. As I started to turn the valve to the off position, it started to leak. The more I turned the valve the more water would come out.

That was the end of me fixing the faucet. Tomorrow I will be calling a professional to come and fix it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This blog is nice.Honeywell is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services, control technologies for buildings, homes and industry, automotive products; turbochargers and specialty materials.Slam Shut Off valves.