Monday, July 30, 2012

I Got My Spots Checked (Going to the Dermatologist) )

I went to the dermatologist today. Or as I like to call it I got my spots checked. I am what you could call the melanoma poster boy wanna be. I have blond hair (well what's left of it is blond). I have blue eyes. My skin is light colored. I have had in the past when I was a kid some very bad sun burns. As an adult I've had a couple too. Thankfully there is no history of skin cancer in the family.

So I try and wear sun screen if I'm going to be out in the sun for long periods of time. I getting used to wearing a hat since there is very little hair left on the top of my head. I also try and stay out the sun on really hot days. That is the worst part of the day from noon to 3 or 4. And lately that's been most days.

So today I went to my dermatologist. It had been two years since my last visit. Everything is fine. He said coming every two years is fine. But should I see something that worries me, don't wait come in as soon as possible. I was a little concerned about something on my neck and also realized it was time to get my spots checked.

Below is some helpful information on looking for and spotting potential spots that need checking. 


What to look for in changes in moles on your body

How to conduct your own spot check.


No comments: