Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

One of the best Halloween specials not take that back the BEST Halloween special: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is on tonight.

The Post has a great story on it in today's paper. The title is: ‘IT’S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN’: 7 Things You Don’t Know About the ‘Peanuts’ Halloween Special tonight. There are some very interesting things in the article.

Points two and three I think are my favorite because my brother and I used "I got a rock" for years in fact we still do:
2. Schulz filled Charlie Brown’s Halloween bag with rocks to “spite” his colleagues.

“Sparky said that maybe we ought to have Charlie Brown get a rock,” Mendelson recounts to Comic Riffs. “I said, ‘Oh, come on, that’s a little too harsh and cruel.’ But the more I protested, the more he wanted it. And after I protested more, Sparky said: ‘Okay, he’ll get three rocks!’ “

3. For years, sympathetic viewers kept sending candy to Schulz’s studio.

Many viewers might know that in 1966, after “Great Pumpkin” first aired, fans felt sorry for Charlie Brown and his bag of Halloween rocks — so sorry that they sent sweet treats to Schulz’s Northern California studio, in care of the beloved character. What they may not know, according to Mendelson, is that this viewer reaction continued for many years.

Here are a couple of strips about the Great Pumpkin. They pretty much follow the story. Enjoy and Happy Halloween.







No comments: