Sunday, May 24, 2020

Morning Monument Ride



Look where I rode to this morning! I made it to the Washington Monument!

I got up early not as early as I wanted to. I'd hope for a 6am start. My mind said yes but my body said no efing way. I did finally get up and then had to do a couple of little things. Those little things kept coming until I decided enough get your butt on the bike and ride.
I headed out at 6:45. The weather was the typical weather that DC has been having for what seems like forever. It was cloudy cool and my favorite weather phenomenon windy.



Wind my great nemesis. Wind something in the 35 plus years of riding in DC I have never mastered. Wind that thing that zaps my strength faster than anything. Wind, which no matter direction I ride in, is always directly in my face. I know this should not be possible but there it is. Always in my face. (When I was doing training for AIDS rids one of my friends was one of the leaders of them. One year almost without fail every training ride we went on it rained. And my friend really did not like riding in the rain. One time we had rain and wind. I said to him I'm not going on any more training rides with you. He said neither am I! It was windy and rainy for most of the ride out. As I recall it was one of our longer rides around 70 miles or so. But on the way back the rain stopped the sky gradually got brighter. The sun finally came out and the wind died down. We were glad that's how the ride went as opposed to be the opposite.



There were very few people out, which is why I went so early. It was a nice ride even with the wind. I stopped on the grounds of the Monument to take a few pictures then headed back home.



In all I was on the bike for about an hour. Tomorrow I hope to be better prepared and make it to the Lincoln Memorial, my favorite memorial in DC. Also hoping for a little better weather so I can get a picture of the sun rising over the city.




Also one neat thing I noticed this morning along the Metropolitan Branch Trail is this little bike repair station with a pump.

No comments: