Monday, January 08, 2007

How do we learn what we know

I was thinking about this the other.

I was pulling into a parking space at the Home Depot parking lot and it just struck me. I just automatically pulled into the spot without giving the cars on either side of the parking space a second thought. I just knew when to turn the wheel of the car. I knew that I would have more than enough space to open my door and get out of the car. Now I know this comes from years of driving a car and parking hundreds of times but still I did we learn that. There just seems to be a sense of the space.

Then again there are people who obviously haven’t learned anything because they park so badly.

I guess what I’m wondering is why the person who can’t park well for lack of a better way of putting it can’t park. Surely they’ve been parking for years but yet they still can’t get it right.

1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

Two words: "Orange Volvo." 'Nuff Said.