Sunday, February 18, 2007

Having friends in the right places

A friend and I were heading out to a GW basketball yesterday. They were going to play Temple. I walked by the Smith Center and little before we were supposed to meet up and there was a sign up that said the game was sold out.

I met my friend in the Marvin Center and told him the news. I was a little pissed. I had taken Friday off and had hoped to do something fun but ended up shoveling a space for my car on the street in front of my house. There been some rain and sleet and snow and freezing rain on Wednesday.

Anyway we decided to go by the Smith Center and pick up tickets to the Richmond game which is on Wednesday. My friend is on a first name basis with the people that work the ticket counter. Well we got tickets for the game on Wednesday but we also got tickets for the Temple game too. It’s good to have friends in the right places.

But this was not the end of our seating arrangements for the game. We were far up in one of the end zones. I wasn’t complaining. Hey we were going to see the game. As we were sitting there a guy approached us and asked if we would like to be part of the UPS promotion. The promotion is you get reseated. You get seats right at floor level. Now if you’ve seem basketball games there are the seats that are right on the court. Well we didn’t get those but we were right behind them. And we were in really nice seats with cushions and the seats were raised sort of like a directors chair. And wow did it make a difference. It was sort of like going from regular TV to HDTV. On several occasions I was glad a player caught the ball or I’d have to have done that. At first it was hard to keep up with the pace of the game but after a little while we adjusted. GW ended up winning the game 84-72. The score doesn’t reflect how close the game was. I was a very enjoyable afternoon.

One more thing we got our names announced over the loud speakers and our pictures on the jumbotron. Pretty cool.

No comments: