Saturday, October 18, 2008

Smart Cars

All of a sudden I'm seeing Smart Cars all over DC. I'd say in the past two weeks or so I've seen 3 to 4 of them each week. While in the past I can't even remember seeing one. I saw plenty of them when I was in London.

I'm curious as to why all of sudden they are all over the place. Did they suddenly arrive in show rooms? It's almost like a big shipment came in.

And they are really small. Not all that practical when you want to buy many things. There just isn't all that much room in them. If you were using them as a second car or as a car to commute to work in, then they'd work out just fine. Parking is at a premium in DC. But you could park just about anywhere. You could fit just about anywhere.

The car is 8.8 feet long. 5.1 feet tall and 5.1 feet wide. Seems there are three dealerships right in the DC area and one in Annapolis.

It gets 33 city/41 highway which is pretty good but seems to me for the price y0u could get the same mileage and have a little larger car.

They are weird to see driving down the road and one things for sure they may be really small but they are very hard to miss.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck said...

I dunno, I think they're kinda cute! The Mitsubishi iCar (not available in the USA, apparently) is probably more practical, though.

Anonymous said...

The Smart is somewhat disappointing in that it costs about 80 percent of a regular subcompact, but you get only half a car. Plus, as you point out, the mileage is no better than a subcompact.

How about a Toyota Yaris instead?

— Ed