Wednesday, February 10, 2010

White Out

That's what it was like for large parts of today. A complete white out. It was so bad that a couple of time I looked out my front door and I could barely see across the street.

Above ground Metro stations were closed today and will be so tomorrow. So I'll be staying put at home yet another day. The closest below ground station from where I am is Union Station and that is a good couple of miles if not more.

Metro says this:
For much of the day Wednesday, Feb. 10, Metro’s snow-removal crews were forced to wait out the blizzard as heavy snow and strong winds created unsafe working conditions. More than a thousand Metro employees have been working in 12-hour shifts since last Friday’s snowstorm to dig out from the snow and provide as much service as possible.

Metro will continue efforts to clear above-ground Metrorail tracks into Thursday, and service is expected to remain limited to underground stations only.
I'm having some leaking from my windows in the room off my bedroom. I got out garbage bags and tapped them to the windows and then funneled the water into buckets. The only problem was I didn't have enough garbage bags so I had to go to the store and get more. They were cheap so I bought 40 of them just to make sure. The snow is melting and running down the siding. The water freezes. Then when more water comes down it can't continue running down so it backs up into the slats of the siding and eventually into the windows. Hopefully, with some warm weather and some help on my part, I can solve this problem.

The government is closed again tomorrow. My feeling is they won't reopen until Metro is running above ground and the roads are in a little better shape. Again hopefully that will be on Friday.

Maybe by next week things will start to get back to normal. Hopefully I can remember what that is.

No comments: