Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Thoughts on 40,000 Steps

It’s a long way. I guess I should put that another way. I thought I would reach 40,000 quicker than I did. I thought waling the Mall would put me very close to my goal. It turned out that wasn’t the case. That’s not to say walking the Mall isn’t along way; it is. But I thought I’d have been further along than I was.

That’s why I decided to go by the old homesteads. That proved to be very interesting. In some ways the area hadn’t changed all that much. I’ve been gone for the area for 14 years (that in and of itself is hard to believe). I lived in the area from 1981 to 1997. I left after I got mugged.

Now there were some huge changes. Many of the houses that had been falling apart had been renovated. The old school across the street from my last apartment at 12th and E had been converted into condominiums. The old basketball court was now a park. The area right around Union Station had changed a great deal. Several more office buildings were up. There were also many more restaurants in the area. Also a large coffee shop that wasn’t a Starbucks which looked very nice.

But some things looked very much the same. The Armands was still there. The 7/Eleven was still there. The local mom and pop grocery stores were still there. The semi-run down apartment building was still there along with a couple of homeless people hanging out in front of it. My old apartment building had replaced the front door. But the tile in the foyer didn’t look any different. Also the carpet on the stairs was the same color.

It was interesting walk down memory lane. I’m glad I took the time to walk by.

No comments: