Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Parade of Peanuts Ties — Day 7

A little late with this but here is the tie from day 7.

I can identify with Charlie Brown on this because I think if I ever went skiing I'd never be able to stand up.



A little more trivia about Peanuts. Franklin was the first African-American in the strip. The introduction caused some controversy:
Franklin's introduction in the era of race relations and segregation proved to be controversial. When Franklin was first introduced, many people thought he was added for political means, but Schulz insisted, he was introduced as a normal character. Many newspapers threatened to cut the strip. Eventually, people realized Schulz was telling the truth. In an interview, Schulz remembered a particular letter he received about Franklin from a Peanuts reader "who said something about, 'I don't mind you having a black character, but please don't show them in school together.' Because I had shown Franklin sitting in front of Peppermint Patty, I didn't even answer him".


No comments: