Friday, February 13, 2015

Odds and Ends

Morning Weather Report

I’ve mentioned this before but the morning weather forecasts on the local TV stations is getting on my nerves. I don’t understand why I cannot get a full forecast in the morning. It always seems to be a partial forecast. Here’s what the morning looks like. Come back in 10 minutes and we’ll tell you what the rest of the day will be like and the five day forecast.

Umm how about I get the whole thing. In the morning I don’t have 10 minutes to wait around for the rest of the weather forecast. I getting ready to head out to the gym or to work. At least on the hour and half hour give a full forecast.

The other thing I’ve noticed is the area by the covered has greatly expanded. I guess this shows the reach of the stations with cable. Often now on stations Oakland Maryland is mentioned in the forecast. Usually as a place that is getting snow or has a really low temperature. In summer it’s usually the cool spot. It’s also almost 200 miles from Washington. Why exactly am I interested in what’s going there exactly.

I guess I just have to rely on the weather apps on my phone to get up to date information.

Valentine’s Day

I was watching TV the other night and just about every other commercial was for Valentine’s Day. It was interesting to me that all of the commercials I saw had men giving gifts to women. There was not a single commercial showing a woman giving a man a gift for Valentine’s Day. All of the adds were along the lines of a man giving some sort of jewelry to a woman.

It’s almost as bad at Christmas with jewelry commercials. You do see from time to time a woman giving a man a watch.

I’m sure these types of ads have been on for a long time but I wasn’t paying all that much attention to them. I have to say it seems just a little sexist that it's the man's responsibility to buy the woman some expensive bauble to make her happy. Guess time has not changed in some things.

 Bitter Cold Coming

Even for DC this is going to be cold. And the wind chill is going to be something fierce over the weekend into Monday. From the Capital Weather Gang at the Post:
If you thought today was windy and cold, wait until Saturday night and Sunday when the most frigid and windy air of the winter takes command. Winds may gust to around 50 mph as the mercury plunges towards 10 degrees producing subzero wind chills. On Saturday afternoon and evening, a brief burst of snow may herald the arrival of the cold blast icing over some roads.

And then this for Sunday:
Sunday: Extremely windy and extremely cold. In the morning, winds from the northwest are sustained at 20 to 30 mph, with gusts to 50 mph. Some areas east of the city and, to the west, at high elevations could see gusts over 50 mph. Isolated to scattered power outages are possible. Despite plenty of sunshine, temperatures rise little, with highs 15-20. Wind chills remain near or below zero for most of the day.

Sunday I was planning on going to watch the Cupid's Undie Run. I will try and brave the weather to see if anyone actually runs.



No comments: