Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Unsubscribing to all Those Job Sites

During my time being unemployed I signed up on several job sites to get emails for potential jobs. Once a day they’d send me a list of jobs. It seems they shared my information with other job sites. So my few daily emails turned into a whole lot of emails each day. I think I was easily getting fifteen or more each day. Who knew there were so many job sites.

Thing is that the job listings had a habit of repeating themselves. There was some variation from one site to the next. That was usually based on how many miles you wanted the search to look for jobs. And usually after Wednesday all you got was what I liked to call reruns. The job listing just started to repeat themselves.

Now that I have a job the need to keep getting all these daily emails is not necessary. There are a couple that I will keep just to see from time to time what is out there.

So I’ve been unsubscribing from the sites that I really don’t want to get anything from. Like the ones that offer all sorts of jobs with Uber. Not sure how a job with Uber fits into my search criteria of desktop publishing or InDesign. Needless to say I’ve opted out of those sites.

Sometimes when you unsubscribe, the site wants you to give a reason for leaving. The list includes found a job, getting too many emails, etc. Now on most sites this is optional. If you don't want to fill it out you don't have to.

On one of the sites in order to unsubscribe you have to fill out a reason for stopping getting emails. I found this a little annoying. I clicked other. If you do that you have to actually put something in for the other reason. So I put down cat. It's the first thing that came to mind. Well actually it was the first thing that came to mind that was not offensive to write down.

It seems to me if you request not to receive any more emails you should be able to stop receiving emails. You shouldn't have to provide a reason. Needless to say if I'm looking for a job again I won't be signing up on that site again.

No comments: