Tuesday, September 06, 2016

In the Unemployment Line

Of course it's not a line. And I wonder if it should be on the unemployment line which would be a little more accurate. That went out probably twenty or more years ago. I know at one point you had to actually go down to an office and meet with someone. But again that's long gone. Now everything is done on the internet. Well not exactly everything. More on that a little later.

But let's take a few steps back and start at the beginning here. No need to go into great detail about what happened. Suffice it to say my position was eliminated. My last day at work was July11. I'd had warning that it was coming so it wasn't a surprise.

I decided to take a little break from all the turmoil of the last few weeks. So I decided I wouldn't apply for unemployment until the beginning of August. I decided to have a little fun and take my mind off of what was going on. So a bunch of movies. Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters, the Bourne movie, Pete's Dragon. Also had a gum graft (a great way to take your mind off your troubles). Went to museums. Just tried to relax and not think about things. Not as easy as I thought.

Then the beginning of August applied to unemployment. Once you apply to unemployment you have to apply to at least two jobs each week. I've been able to do that but really haven't found many more. There were at least five they were right up my alley but I needed a security clearance and of course I don't have one. The chicken and egg dilemma if there ever was one. It was of course August which is not the best month to start looking for jobs because lots and lots of people are away on vacation. I figure things will improve as we move later into September.

So that's a brief update of what's going on. I'll have more info on the ins and outs of unemployment soon.

No comments: