Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Fun of a Nasal Rinse



I had a cold in the beginning of September. It took about a week and a half to go away. What I was left with after that was a reoccurring cough. It was due to the fact that although my cold had gone away I was still have terrible post nasal drip. So not to be too gross about it I'd have snot running down the back of my throat. To try and clear it I would cough.

The wonderful hot and humid weather added to the fun of this. Sometimes I would start coughing and wouldn't stop for several hours. Every few minutes I would be coughing trying to clear everything out.

I finally decided I needed to go to the doctor. You can read all about the saga of changing doctors here.

I got an appointment with my doctor. He checked to make sure my lungs were clear which they were. He suggested using Flonase and a nasal rinse.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of a nasal rinse in part because I never feel I do it right. Now what I have is not those little tea pot things but sinus rinse bottle like the one above. It's sort of like an enema for your nose only not as gross. Well not as gross as long as your nasal cavities aren't impacted with charming colored snot.

I will say I now think I have the hang of it. The rinse really seems to help or it could be the cough would have gone away on its own along with the fact that the weather has finally changed and the heat and humidity are now gone. 

In any case, the rinse really does clear me out and my cough is going away. Mission accomplished.


No comments: