Friday, August 06, 2010

Progress at the Gym

The last two training session I had point out the progress I’ve made working out. I’d like to say I have ripped muscles every where but well that’s not the case. But my strength had improved. Case in point was with bent over row. Here’s what a bent over row is:
1. Holding a barbell with a pronated grip (palms facing down), bend your knees slightly and bring your torso forward, by bending at the waist, while keeping the back straight until it is almost parallel to the floor. Tip: Make sure that you keep the head up. The barbell should hang directly in front of you as your arms hang perpendicular to the floor and your torso. This is your starting position.

2. Now, while keeping the torso stationary, breathe out and lift the barbell to you. Keep the elbows close to the body and only use the forearms to hold the weight. At the top contracted position, squeeze the back muscles and hold for a brief pause.

3. Then inhale and slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.

4. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.


I did this with Shawn on Wednesday. I started with a 50 pound barbell. The next set I went up to 60 pounds. The third set I went up to 70 pounds. At the end of it when I was holding the barbell, I said this is 70 pounds. Sure doesn’t feel like it’s 70 pounds. I told Ed about this on Friday. I said I thought maybe I could go up to an 80 pound barbell. And that’s exactly what we did. I couldn’t believe it. If fact I did another exercise using the same barbell. The main point is suddenly a 70 or 80 pound barbell doesn’t feel all that heavy. It means I’m getting stronger.

I’ve noticed a change in my upper body mostly in my chest and arms. More strength. One area I need to improve on is around my wrist and lower arms. I need to strengthen that area so I can lift even heavier weights.

Shawn also said to me that he’s noticed I’m more willing to increase the weight when doing exercises. I know I need to push myself more on this. And I figure if I can’t handle the weight I can always go down.

It’s just exciting to think that suddenly 80 pounds doesn’t feel all that heavy.

No comments: