Saturday, October 07, 2006

First full day

This is my first full day and it was very eventful. We went to Mt Eden or as it is called in the Maori language Maungawhau. It is a volcano where the dome has collapsed on itself. From there we drove to the Domain, around the War Memorial Museum, around the waterfront, to Okahu Bay, Mission Bay, Kohimarama, St. Heliers, Achilles Point. Back into the city where we had lunch at a cafe at the library where we all had Satay Chicken salad. From there more shopping on Queen Street.

I've learned that the traditional way to introduce yourself as a Maori is by naming:
Your mountain
Your river
Your canoe (how you came to New Zealand)
Your Hapu (your subtribe)
Your Maori ancestral house
then your first name.

So if I was introducing myself I would say
Capitol Hill (not exactly a mountain but I think very fitting)
Potomac
Air Tahiti Nui
Peaco and Browning
Peaco Park
Jason

Ka Kite for now.

No comments: