Monday, June 09, 2008

Surviving the Heat

I took a friend to have LASIK surgery done early Saturday morning. That went well and then I went home.

I didn’t realize how hot it was going to get. It got close to 100. I thought I could tough it out and deal with the heat. During the day it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t do a whole lot. Slept some did a little bit of stuff around the house. With a fan on you it wasn’t all that bad. But trying to sleep is another matter all together. In the heat you just don’t get all that much sleep.

I tried sleeping in the room off my bedroom. It has a air conditioner in it. It has a recliner in it too. I tried but I could never get comfortable in it. I’d doze off for a little while and wake up with a start. I ended up sleeping in my bed but didn’t get a very good rest.

I got up Sunday and decided to hell with this I was going out and getting a room air conditioner.

I went down to Home Depot. I’d gone down quickly on Saturday morning to see what they had and get an idea of how much they cost just in case I needed to buy one. Well needless to say there were a lot fewer there then when I went on Saturday. At first it looked like my choices were between an 6,000 BTU and 10,000 BTU units. I decided I’d get the 10,000 better to have way too much cooling power than not enough. But then I saw an 8,000 and thought that one will be perfect.

I got to the store right when it opened and was out of there by around 8:20 or so. Put the box in the back of the car and was headed home. As I was getting into the car I noticed a tack in the front tire. I pulled it out and immediately there was the hiss of air. I put the tack back in. I decided first things first I’d put the air conditioner in and deal with the tire later.

I got home. Got the air conditioner upstairs and started putting it together. Here’s something I find interesting. The instructions talk about that if you have a storm window frame you have to take additional steps to make sure the unit is properly supported. I have to ask who doesn’t have a storm window frame on their windows. It has to be very few people.

I decided to put the air conditioner in the window that goes out into the room off the bedroom (that turned out not to be a very good idea). I thought the way things were going for me if the air conditioner fell it would only be going a few feet instead of two stories down to the concrete. It was pretty easy to install. I do think some of the instructions were not as clear as they should have been and the illustrations should have been a little more clear. But I got it in and it actually worked.

The next step was the tire.

No comments: