Thursday, June 11, 2009

Down to the DMV

Tuesday I went to have my car inspected at the DMV. Well actually it was at the inspection station. There've been some improvements since the last time I had to do this.

The best one is you can actually make an appointment for the inspection. You get to go to the front of the line instead of having to wait in line. The appointments are in 15 minute increments. So if you sign up it's a fast and easy way to get the inspection done.

My trip down to the inspection station wasn't all that easy. I had a pretty good idea of how to get there but thought I'd use my GPS. I programed the route in but realized I hadn't told it to avoid highways. So the GPS wanted me to take several highways in the middle of morning rush hour. I decided that that was a mistake. After the most indirect route to this place possible I finally got there. It took about half an hour. If I'd just trusted my instincts I think I would have been there in a little over 20 minutes.

Once there I should them my piece of paper with the appointment details and I was sent to lane 3. There was only one other car in front of me. The place wasn't all that busy but I'm glad I made the appointment. The inspection took all of maybe 15 minutes and then I was on my way.

This morining I did the other part of the registration process. I had to pay a late fee because my vehicle inspection had expired. I thought everything expired at the same time but that proved not to be the case. That's all been processed. I also got a temporary registration and parking sticker just in case the final ones don't arrive by the time they expire. Considering how badly the District usually handles these types of things, I really impressed.

The best part is I don't have to do it for another year.

No comments: