Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Front Comes Through

The front came through in a very big way this afternoon. I stuck my head out the front door just as it was starting to come through. And I saw this land not more than 25 feet from me. I rather quickly stuck my head along with the rest of my body back inside.









































That wasn't the only damage done as you can see by these pictures.







































































I was a little panicked that the roof was mine. I don't think that is the case. I don't have access to my roof (that another story). But my dish and the air conditioner unit are on top of the roof. I think if that much of the roof came off they would have come with it or have been damaged in some way. Both are working fine. The damage also seem to be from the back of the houses.

I also looked into my attic and could not see any sort of damage up there. Either in the form of light coming through the roof or any sort of water damage or leak. There also wasn't any leaking into any of the upstairs rooms.

I went out back once the rain had stopped. From what I could see from street level my roof looked fine. We (a couple of my neighbors) then walked back down an alley. From this vantage point you could see more of all the roofs of the houses on our block. The roof on my house looked fine. All the houses with damaged roofs had part of the roofs pealed back. And it does seem that that is the direction the big gust of wind came from. It damaged a couple of siding panels on another house. They were on the back of the house too.

I called my insurance company (the 800 number) to see what to do. They said I should get someone out to inspect the roof and if there was any damage to file a claim then. The agent said that I might be able to see who my neighbors were using. I also plan to call my local agent tomorrow and see if they recommend anyone in particular.

Hopefully that's all the excitement from the front today.

No comments: