Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Migraine Set Back

Last Tuesday I woke up with a bit of a headache. Then while getting breakfast I had the all too familiar aura start to appear in my left eye. Suddenly my dull headache turned into a migraine.

A little more on migraine with aura:

“Migraine with aura” is a relatively new name for the less common type of migraine headache. Aura refers to feelings and symptoms you notice shortly before the headache begins. These early symptoms are also called a prodrome.

Scientists aren’t sure what causes migraines with aura. It’s thought that at least two brain chemicals -- serotonin and dopamine -- play a role. According to the theory, something goes awry in the way these chemicals regulate brain function. This may cause the brain and the body’s immune system to overreact. When this happens, a flood of immune response cells flows through the blood vessels to the brain. The brain’s blood vessels open wider to accommodate these cells. Even more chemicals are released to help control the vessels’ muscles. The vessels open and constrict. A severe, often throbbing headache results.

I had some aspirin for migraines. I tried to read the label and figure out how many to take but the aura restricting my eye sight and the printing on the label so small I gave up and took two. I went upstairs. I soaked a wash cloth in hot water. Got into bed and put the wash cloth over my eyes and hoped for the best.

In about an hour or so I started to feel better. An hour after that I headed out to work.

I used to get migraines on a fairly regular basis when I was in high school and college. I don’t get them all that often any more. When I do most often they are during the summer. I think all the time I’d spent out doors at the games and seeing the fireworks helped trigger this one. Also the general humid conditions didn’t help either.

What I have noticed is the pain seems to linger for a longer period of time. It’s not a sharp pain but a dull ache. I thought it best to stay away from a computer screen after work. But things seem to be back to normal so I’m back posting again.

No comments: