Saturday, July 14, 2007

3 movies in 4 weeks

I can't remember when I've seen so many movies in such a small amount of time. Usually 3 movies is about all I see in a year. That might be a slight exaggeration but not by much.

Today it was Transformers (at the bargain matinee price of $8 which is by the way more than the combo meal that I got on Friday at Subway). I liked parts of it and other parts I just thought were silly. What was needed was better editing. I can think of five places that could have been trimmed:
1. The scene where the soldiers in the desert were trying to contact the pentagon and they needed to have a credit card. That could have been edited better.
2. The scene establishing that Shia LaBeouf's is a nerd with the hots for this girl. Too long.
3. The scene where the transformers are at Shia's house. Yes it is funny but again too long.
4. The section seven scene. Too long.
5. The scene where the hackers are under arrest by the FBI and donuts are eaten. Now I love donuts but it really didn't advance the story all that much.

The movie runs 2 hours and 23 minutes. I think with the above edits that would shave about 20 minutes off the film.

I also think there's too much start and stop with the action scenes at the start of the picture. It takes too long to get into the flow of the film.

Some of the transformation of the Transformers are too close. You can't exactly tell what's going on. The scene where the decepticon is a plane then becomes a decepticons and then back into a plane is very cool. I like the depiction of Cybertron too.

So it's not the greatest film ever made but it is a enjoyable escapist summer flick.

No comments: