Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The High Cost of Travel

I'm looking into flights for going to Springfield at Christmas time.

Yes, I know it is months in advance but I figure it is only going to get more expensive the longer I wait.

Here's what I found out. The cheapest flight is $680 with taxes and fees and all that good stuff it is $736. It takes 8 hours and 18 minutes to get there. The next cheapest fare is $892. It's a little quicker taking only 5 hours and 50 minutes. Oh yes the flight back would take over 11 hours. Add four hours on to that and I could drive out to Springfield.

So the plan is to go into another city most likely Kansas City. The cost to go there $546. The time to and from about 2 and a half hours. That of course does not include the time of driving to and from Springfield. I looked at renting a car but the cheapest was around $300. Hopefully (hint, hint) some generous relatives of mine would come and pick me up and then take me back to Kansas City.

I can only assume these prices will be going up. I'm going to keep track of this and see just how high they go.

No comments: