Monday, September 08, 2008

Encased in plastic

I bought a GPS a week or so ago. I like it a great deal. But the packaging was terrible. I thought the idea is your supposed to be able to open something once you buy it. What a struggle. The GPS was encased in plastic. The hard plastic that so many electronic devices seem to come in these days. I guess the idea is so that people can see what they’re getting while at the same time preventing people from easily walking away with the thing.

The only problem is it’s next to impossible to get into. I got out my scissors and tried to open the package. I thought at first that if I cut off the top it would open on its own. Sort of like a case. No. You had to cut around the whole thing. It was not an easy task. After a while I thought I was going to cut myself using the scissors or have a piece of the hard plastic embed itself in my hand.

Once part of the container held the GPS. The other part had the instructions and cords in it. The problem was, when attempting to cut into the container, the space where all this stuff was concealed with card board. I had to be very care so as not to damage of these things.

I have to say this was pretty nuts. I can see a way to save a whole lot of oil by packaging things better.

As to the GPS, It’s going to be very helpful on my trip when I head out to Missouri in the next couple of days. I’ve already calculated the dirve to my dad’s house. It’s going to take over 17 hours that is of course if you drive at the speed limit which of course I’m going to obey all the way out there.

No comments: