Friday, March 13, 2009

A Review of Historic Photos of Washington, DC, Part I

First and foremost, what an amazing book. Let me say that again what an amazingly incredible book!

The book is divided into four section list sections. I’ve only been able to get through the first section so far because I keep going back over the photos. My reactions to the pictures so far have been oh wow look at that, I didn’t know that, I can’t believe that’s what was there, I think that building is still around.

The book is divided into four sections. As I’ve said so far I’ve only been able to get through the first section that’s from 1860-1879. The second section is 1880-1920. The third is 1921-1949. The final is 1950 to 1970.

I’ve learned some very interesting things about DC from this book. The Old Capitol Prison is now where the Supreme Court is; there is some sort poetic justice in that. During the Civil War the city was ringed with forts one of them Ft. Reno. The reason we have Reno Road. Also there were camps one in Tennallytown more commonly know now as Tenleytown.

One of the great strengths of the book is the description of the pictures. They tell what the picture is, when it was taken and what stands there today. Of especial interest is the picture of the Aqueduct Bridge which crosses the Potomac in Georgetown or George Town as it was called for many years. Eventually the Aqueduct Bridge would be replaced with Key Bridge. You look across into Virginia and there are very few buildings as compared with today. Another picture in Georgetown shows the canals. Neither of the canals were a success and they and the harbor filled in.

This is just a few examples of the many interesting pictures that are in the book. I think it is absolutely fascinating and I’m looking forward to viewing the rest of the book and posting about it.

If you are looking for a great book of pictures that gives you a real feel of what Washington, DC has been like over the years then this is the book for you. It is just first rate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for steering people to this book, Jason. I love history, and it looks great!

Jason in DC said...

It is an amazing book. I'm hoping to review the last two sections of the book over the weekend.