Tuesday, November 09, 2010

10,000 Songs and Counting

I had a goal this year of getting my 10,000th song on to my iPod. I started out with somewhere in the low 9,000. I though it would take most of the year to reach that goal. As it turned out I got close to it much faster than I had anticipated. Around the end of September I was at song 9,995.

And then I just sort of stopped getting music. I even stopped listening to the free song on iTunes.

I go through cycles like this. I’ll buy music very consistently over a period of time and then just all of a sudden stop. It’s not that there aren’t albums I want to purchase I just sort of fall out of the habit of getting music. This is similar to the way I read. There’s some point in the course of a year where I just stop reading. It can sometime last for many many months. This year it wasn’t that long of a time.

But back to music. This weekend I passed the 10,000 song mark and it was very easy. I was cleaning up some things in my closet. I started looking through my CDs that I’d stored there. I began to think is it really necessary to keep all of these CDs. True they don’t take up all that much space. But, well, you know how it is look as some of the CDs you purchased and wonder why the hell did I ever buy that.

What I discovered while going through all the stacks of CDs, I noticed that there CDs that I hadn’t uploaded to iTunes. The more I looked the more CDs I found there were not on iTunes. It turned out there were at least a dozen CDs that hadn’t made it on to iTunes. So now I’m at song 10,251.

The next logical goal is to reach song 11,000. Maybe by the end of next year.

No comments: