Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Storm Hits, Part II

These pictures were taken around 10pm or so. It piled up very fast. It was also very wet and very heavy. Power lines sagged. In fact I was looking out my front door and I saw sparks coming off of one of the power poles that are across the street from me.

My lights dimmed a few times but I was lucky my power stayed on. Other's weren't so lucky:

With rumbles of thunder more common to a summer squall, winter descended in force on the Washington region late Wednesday, icing the area down before switching to snow, extending rush hour to an agonizing night-long crawl and turning out the lights for hundreds of thousands as power lines snapped.

Though the sky was clear, dawn brought an unwelcome chill to about 422,000 households without power in the region served by Pepco, Dominion Virginia and BGE.






2 comments:

Toronto Classifieds said...

Gotta love a Canadian winter.

Jason in DC said...

Not as bad as last year. But the timing was terrible because it hit during rush hour.