Thursday, May 28, 2020

Passing the Time During the Pandemic

I’ve been watching more TV than usual. There’s not a whole lot you can do during the course of the day these days. Well there is probably lots to do but I don’t know about you but I seem not to be doing it. Or to be doing just a little of it each day.

Thus the increase in TV watching.

While surfing, I did not realize how many true crime dramas there are.

I also was surprised at the endless way people are killed: stabbed, shot, bludgeoned, strangled, thrown off buildings, thrown off cliffs, thrown off cruise ships, thrown down a hole, pushed off a building, murders that are staged as suicides, how many contract killings there are, poisoned, dismembered, suffocated, burned, drowning, etc. And let me tell you nothing will cheer you up more than watching a couple of these (not).

And if true crime doesn’t do it for you or it’s too depressing, there’s always crime drama. Hours upon hours of it. Law and Order, Law and Order SVU. Those two alone have a total of 797 episodes. Talk about your binge watching. The average episode is around 45 minutes. That works out to 35,865 minutes or 597.75 hours or 24 days. There is of course a whole host of others to choose from.

Here are some of the things that I see on the shows that really bug me. When anyone brings in coffee you tell there is nothing in the cups because of the way they move around with them. If there doing a raid there never seems to enough people for the raid thus ensuring that the bad guy will escape. There always seems to a judge that will issue a search warrant on the flimsiest like we’re looking for someone with red hair (well not really but you know what I mean). They always seem to have the most latest tech that will test for the most obscure things. They’re able to travel great distances incredibly quickly. The shows produced in Hollywood will refer to local interstates incorrectly. As in one episode of NCIS they talked about how the car took the 66. Umm no here it would be called 66. Only out west specifically in California is the added to the beginning of route numbers like the 405. One other thing is when a lawyer blocks the jury’s view of witness. That would never ever happen

If you get tired of the above two categories there are always the doctor shows but there are less of them. And I don’t like them very much. They’ve gotten way to graphic for me too much blood and lots and lots of guts. Freaks me out

But if I really want to get freaked out I turn on the news and watch the orange one. Then I turn to a true crime show and somehow dismemberment doesn’t sound all that bad.

No comments: