Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Coriolanus at the Kennedy Center

I'm not one to usually go and see Shakespeare. But this got such great reviews I had to see it. You can see the whole review in the Post here.

From the review:

The "Coriolanus" at the Kennedy Center turns out to be the most electric night of Shakespeare the festival has presented. The surprise is not that it's brought to you by the Royal Shakespeare Company, but that the production is the best thing the RSC has imported to Washington in its five-year Kennedy Center residency.


It was amazing. It took me a little while to get used to the language. Even after getting used to it, I probably lost about 20% of what was being said. I was all the way to the left in the second row. There were actors running on to the stage off to my side so I had to be careful where I put my feet. The lead actor (pictured below and yes he was that bloody) was incredible. The choreographed fight scenes were first rate. And there was more than one and it was sword upon shield and axe upon shield and then drawn swords. The entire cast was just first rate and very much on for the performance. I walked out at the end and said aloud wow that was amazing. The person next to me heartily agreed.

I've decided I'm going to try and attend an event at the Kennedy Center at least once a month. That might be pushing it and it might be a little expensive. Maybe a better goal is to go to one cultural event each month. That's not counting going to a museum. This would be a play or concert or maybe an author's reading. I once saw Jack Germond at the Barnes and Noble in Georgetown.

Thinking about last night, I have to say it again WOW!!!!

Click on the picture for a larger view. You can really see the intensity that William Houston brings to his role as Coriolanus.

No comments: