Monday, April 09, 2007

Walter Reed Again

Just when you think you won't hear any more horror stories coming out of Walter Reed comes this story from the Post. I guess I can't really be surprised but one would think after the stories in the Post that there would have been some attempt to at least seem helpful. But that is far from the case.

It seems to me that, as a soldier is recovering from his wounds, he shouldn't have to always be on guard against the people who are they to supposedly "help" him. To prove me point:
I could never let down my guard. If I had signed one particular form that my outprocessing manager insisted I had to sign, I could have lost my health insurance.


In this case, what exactly is the role of the process manager to have the government pay as little as possible to this soldier? The role should be making sure each wounded returning soldier is entitled to the best care possible.

The final paragraph is particularly poignant:
I finally got my orders. I expect to leave for home next week and return to civilian life. I hope I never have to return to Walter Reed.


I certainly hope so. Thank you for your service and sacrifice Sergeant David Yancy. All the best to you. And here's hoping only good and wonderful things happen to you in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at Walter Reed with Yancey, there's a lot that "goes on" there that isn't always in the best interest of the soldier. I specifically asked my case manager to not get sent back to Walter Reed because (before the story broke) the conditions were horrible!

Jason in DC said...

The best thing that can be done for a problem like this is to shine a light on it so everyone knowns about it. And keep the light on it until things get better.

The more people that can tell their stories of what went on the better.

Hopefully this is the first step to making sure things get better.