Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I had a Frenectomy Today

That's not something you get to say every day.

It is part of the fun process of shoring up my receding gums. Part of a fun multi year process of moving gum material from other parts of my mouth to my gums that are receding. This first part was to cut the frenum in my lower set of teeth. This will help in the big gum graft that will go there later. That probably won't happen until next year.

So here's a little back ground:

There are many frenae in the mouth, such as the strand along the middle base of your tongue, or on the middle inside of your upper or lower lip.An overly short frenum below the tongue restricts tongue movement and affects speech. Shortened frenae on the inside of the lips pull on the gum tissue. This can cause the gum to recede away from the teeth or gaps between the teeth to develop.


My periodontist said I didn't have a really bad problem, but I would need this done as the first step in the whole gum graft process.

All I can say is what fun!

But actually it wasn't very bad. Well I should say it hasn't been very bad so far. I had an appointment at 10:30 today. It took less than 30 minutes from start to finish. He numbed the area where he was going to make the incision. I could barely feel the Novocaine when he gave it to me. Then it was pretty quick. I was able to see the thread he was using for the stitches.

He then put some material as he said sort of like Silly Putty around the stitches. This is essentially a dressing that hardens. The idea is to keep it on until the next appointment which is next week.

I was told to go home and take it easy. Put some ice on it. Eat soft food for the first day. After that I can eat just about anything except particulate foods (seeds, nuts, popcorn, etc.).

I was told to make sure I took pain medication even if I didn't have any real pain. He said I needed between 600-800 mg of a pain reliever. He said he would write me a prescription or I could just take 4 of the extra strength dose of whatever pain reliever I liked. Anything that is except aspirin because aspirin is a blood thinner.

So I'm home now and I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day. Lie down and read my book and take an nice nap.

1 comment:

Dental Implant said...

Very nice information thanks for sharing.Its nice to read your experienced for gum grafts