Monday, October 24, 2011

My Digital Camera and the Geek Squad

I had problems with my digital camera. You can go here to read all about it.

Essentially the lens cover would not open and close all the way. I could get the camera to work by using my finger to open the cover. That's what I did when I went to New York. The Monday that I got back from my trip I took the camera to Best Buy. I'd bought it there and had gotten an extended warranty. I'd been told when I'd brought it in early that it would take 3-5 days to get it back.

That didn't turn out to be the case. Because the camera I had wasn't rapid return (at least I think that's what they called it), it was going to be sent out to get fixed. It would take 2-3 weeks for it to be repaired. I wasn't too happy about that. First off because when I'd bought the extended warranty they didn't mention that if the camera had a problem it would be fixed. They gave the very strong impression that if anything went wrong the camera would be replaced. The other thing was of course 2-3 weeks to fix the thing that's nuts.

Off the camera went. A few days after it was sent off I got an e-mail from the Geek Squad saying they'd received the camera and were working on repairing it. Then about a week later or so another e-mail saying still working on it and giving me a tracking number so I could follow the repair process.

Then along comes another e-mail from Geek Squad. It said:

Hello Jason,

Thank you for choosing Geek Squad!

In an effort to ensure your service was completed to your expectations we would like to give you an opportunity to provide feedback on your overall experience with Geek Squad.

Below is the first question of a brief survey that should not take more than a few minutes to complete.

In addition to providing us with feedback, you will have the opportunity to request a follow up contact by a member of Geek Squad if you have any questions or concerns stemming from your service.

Please rate your recent service experience with Geek Squad


One small little problem I didn't have the camera. I'd never been told it was fixed or to pick it up at the Best Buy where I left it. I checked the status of my repair. The service history said completed product has been picked up by the customer. I was not happy at all.

I called the Best Buy where'd I dropped it off. This is what I was told. By default a product is always shipped to the customers home address. I'd said I was never told that and if I had been I would not have had it sent to my home. I then had to ask who it was being shipped by. I found out it was UPS. I then had to ask for a shipping number. I then said to the guy why did I have to call you to find out this information. I should have been told about this. I said I was very disappointed with the service.

I did go to UPS' site and found out the camera should arrive on Tuesday. At least now I know to be on the look out for it. If I hadn't called I would have been completely in the dark about when it was going to show up.

In the comments section of the Geek Squad questionnaire this is what I said:

The fact that I received this survey first before I was told that camera had been fixed and was being sent to me speaks volumes. I should have been informed the camera was fixed by e-mail. I should have been informed what company was shipping the camera and what the tracking number was. I should have been informed when to expect the camera to arrive at my house. I should not have had to call the store and ask for the information.

Lousy, lousy, lousy customer service. Would not recommend Geek Squad to anyone!


I said I wanted someone from the Geek Squad to contact me. I left both my e-mail and phone number. It will be interesting to see if anyone bothers to call me back.

No comments: