Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bad customer service

I got a post from my friend Arthur in New Zealand about my DirecTV saga. He said:

Why is it that for so many businesses these days “customer service” is an oxymoron?

I couldn’t agree more. I made up a little poem:

This weekend I had to imagine what HDTV would be
‘cause no could bother to show up and install it from DirecTV

What makes me mad about the whole thing was that no one could bother to call me from DirecTV and say no one would be coming on Friday. They called at 3:45 to say the guy would be late. Why couldn’t they call back? Why couldn’t they call back and reschedule the appointment?

I had to end up doing that. Another thing that annoys me about this is I’ve mentioned on every occasion that whomever shows up to do the job will need a long ladder. They’ll need it because the dish is on the roof. I told this to DirecTV from the very first time I called to upgrade my system. And each successive call I’ve mentioned it as well. The second call which actually set up the appointment I said now I mentioned the other day about the ladder. So they checked on whether it was in the comments section. It took awhile but finally I was told yes that was mentioned. Now here’s the thing. When I called to reschedule the guy said he didn’t see anything about a long ladder. Same record as before. Where did the information go?

It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. I’d like to get HD set up so I could see the Super Bowl. But as we say in my family we’ll see.

Speaking of my family their power won’t be restored until the end of the coming week so things could be worse.

No comments: