Today. Well today has been a mess. It started out with a few flakes of snow. Then a little sleet. Then it switched over to freezing rain.
Here's the overview from the Capital Weather Gang:
- Freezing rain is falling throughout the metro region, after an earlier brief period of sleet and snow.
- Side streets, sidewalks, driveways, bridges, ramps, overpasses and any untreated surfaces probably stay slick everywhere through the afternoon and into the evening.
- Be very careful on main roads and interstates too, but the March sun and temperatures rising into the upper 20s mean that main roads and highways may fare at least a little better than they did last weekend as we get into the afternoon.
- The slightly colder north and west suburbs will see the worst icing impacts, but icy roads are expected even in the city and to the south and east.
- Temperatures creep up to near freezing by 7-10 p.m. as precipitation tapers, but icy conditions linger into the night
Here are a few of my pictures of the wonderful freezing rain we got today.