Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Special Election in DC

Yesterday there was a special election in DC. It was in Ward 5; the Ward I live in. The reason for the election was that the former councilman representing the ward "was forced to step down in January after admitting that he stole more than $350,000 from the city. Early this month, a federal judge sentenced Thomas to 38 months in prison." I have to say I'm glad the election is over. When I came back from my trip to Springfield, I had 14 pieces of campaign literature that had been mailed to me and probably half a dozen or more calls on my answering machine from one of the campaigns. There were like 11 people running for the spot. I continued to get four or five calls each night. I even got campaign brochures in the mail on the day of the election. I did my civic duty and went and voted. I did after work. I got to the poling place around 5:15 or so. I was the 176th person to have voted that day. Not a very good turn out. True weather played a factor because it was pouring down rain in the morning and that might have kept some people away from the polls in the morning. But still a dismal turn out. I'm not sure of the total number of people who voted. I can find out who won from the Post and what percentage of the vote he got but not the actual number of votes for each of the candidates. Maybe that will show up later today. That's also fodder for another post down the road. But I for one am glad the whole thing is over.

No comments: