Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fleetwood Mac at the Verizon Center, Part II

















They were incredible. The first time I saw them was in 1978 (yes 31 year ago). It was the year after Rumours came out. It was at a place called Alpine Valley in East Troy Wisconsin. And it was a very long way to go for a concert as I remember I was the driver.

I remember when Rumours came out. I went over to my friend’s Doug’s house and we listened to it. The more I listened to it the more I liked it. Who knew the phenominum it would become. I remember the ads on the back of Billboard magainze touting how many millions the album had sold. Every four to five weeks another add would show up on the back cover showing a picture of the album and saying 3 million sold, 4 million sold etc.

So that sets the stage so to speak for the concert last night. They were really good. No they were excellent. A great selection of songs. Everyone was very much on for the night. It was amazing to think just how long I’ve had listening pleasure from these songs. In some cases over 30 years! Hearing them again was like meeting up with an old friend.

The tour is billed as Fleetwood Mac Unleashed. As Lindsey Buckingham said we don’t have an album to promote, yet, so it’s going to be a selection of songs that are our favorites and he added hopefully they are yours too. And boy were they.

It's hard to really to come up with a favorite moment since there were so many of them. Landslide was fantastic. There was a slower lead in to Tusk which I think gave the song much more power. One of the many highlights were these three songs that they ended the set with (before encores) I'm So Afraid then Stand Back and they finished things out with Go Your Own Way. Kicked ass on these.

Here's a review from the Boston Herald. One from Billboard. If you scroll down you can see the songs they played. If there is a review in the Post I'll post the link to that too.

Below is video from YouTube. These post are from other nights.

Here's Standback



Monday Morning which opened the show.


And what really really made it an over the top incredible amazing fantastic awesome well as I said last night I hoped they would end with Silver Spring and they did which made the concert perfect.



If there is any video from the DC concert I'll post that too.

It was just an amazing night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely loved the show too. They just showed up and played. The stage was very cool & colorful but simple. Which put all the focus on the artists and the music - right where it belonged. And they both delivered. Mick Fleetwood seemed possessed, Stevie is the ultimate diva and lovin' every minute of it and Lindsey, in my opinion, stole the show. What a talent! Mick forgetting to intro John McVie at first was a bit strange (rift?). Was there ever a review in The Post?

Jason in DC said...

There was some very lame review so I didn't even both to post about it.