Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bargain Matinee

I went to see Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I thought it was pretty good. The critics savaged it. I sometimes wonder if they are watching the same movie I am. Then again these are the same people that thought the first two Spiderman movies were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I liked them, but didn't think they were that great.

But that's not my main point. The "bargain matinee" was $7.75. Yes that's right the bargain matinee was $7.75. The full price I think was at least $9.50 or something like that. I also got some candy. So my movie going experience was a total of $11. How can a family afford to go and see a movie. It must cost at least $50 for a family of four to go. And that would be to the baring matinee.

I remember when they really were a bargain. I'll date myself but I remember when they were $2. Now I don't expect to pay that little today but $7.75. That's like going out and getting lunch during the week. No wonder I don't go to as many movies as I used to. They cost too much. Before it was just a couple of bucks but now well . . . it's $7.75.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck said...

To me, the wost part is that you pay all that money and you get dirty auditoriums, people who allow their cellphones to ring (and then talk loudly on them), people who talk through the movie, AND you have to sit and watch commercials--and that's IF the kid running the projectors has checked the focus.

No, for that kind of money I'd rather wait until the film comes out on DVD so I can watch it without all the negatives.

Jason in DC said...

Another thing is that the movie opened on Friday. I saw it on Saturday and there were a couple of black blobs and a few lines in the movie.

Waiting for the DVD you avoid all the things you talked about and the picture quality is great. But you can't see it on a super huge screen.