Friday, June 22, 2007

Last Full day

A very fun, productive, interesting and sobering last day to Ed and Jennifer's visit.

We had tickets to the Holocaust Museum for noon. There was no rush to get out the door. So as talked about previously we all went for a walk.

When we got back home we had omelets. Jennifer chopped up all the things we added: cheese, tomatoes and green pepper. Ed cooked. I got to sit back and do nothing. Breakfast was very good.

Then we headed out to the Mall. I decided it would be easier to take the subway then drive. We arrived just in time to get our tickets and enter the Holocaust Museum permanent exhibit. It is a most impressive and sobering museum. It just so happens that there was a First Person talk form one of the survivors. Manya Friedman (Moszkowicz) told her story. It was very gripping and horrifying and eye opening. We then saw the rest of the permanent exhibit. This museum is a sobering reminder of the great evil man can go against his fellow man.

Because of our late start, we didn't have lunch. I brought along a banana for each of us so we had that. Ed wanted to see the National Museum of the American Indian. Along the way we stopped for some ice cream and we stopped off at the Hirshhorn sculpture garden where Ed discovered several Henry Moore works.

Finally at the National Museum of the American Indian, Ed took pictures of the outside of the building. It is a very imposing and beautiful structure and rather difficult to get the entire building in one frame.

Next on the agenda was dinner. My plan was to walk to Gallery Place and find a place to eat and then go to the National Portrait Gallery. As it turned out the gallery closed earlier than I thought it did so we did the gallery and then had dinner.

We saw the portraits of the presidents and then paintings on loan for the National Gallery of England. Then it was off to dinner at Legal Sea Food. Yum yum.

On the way home we stopped off at the store and picked up some ice cream. We enjoyed that while watching the movies that I'd taken of the trip.

It was a really great last full day.

No comments: