Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Today is my birthday

Cue appropriate guitar music.

Yes I know that this a bit of shameless self promotion. But today is my birthday. I’m celebrating the 18th anniversary of my 30th birthday.

I was up early this morning. More precisely I’d only hit the snooze bottom once. It is a glorious day. Sunny mid 60s with a wonderful fresh breeze.

I went out for a walk. I put on my trusty pedometer which isn’t working right. The mileage doesn’t display properly. I think I’m going to buy another one today because after all today is my birthday.

I enjoy walking in the morning. It really gives me a boost of energy. It’s also helping me loose weight. (That’s going ok. I should be a little further along than I am.)

Today was fantastic. I’m always surprised about how quiet it is in the morning. I’ve come downstairs some mornings and turned on the TV and had to immediately lower the sound because it seemed so loud. Of course it was the same volume the night before there was just more noise around.

Today there was a nice refreshing breeze and low humidity. I walked past a beautiful group of yucca plants. (My mom loved the yucca we had in the yard. When it bloomed she would say the yucca is yuccaing.) There was one of those ever present vine weed/plants growing around it. I broke the stem of it in two.

Not far away was a group of cacti blooming. They had very pretty yellow flowers. A couple steps away there were two robins going at it. They barely noticed that I was there.

I kept walking and let the two of them duke it out. There were other robins out. They were singing not fighting. There was also a catbird high up in a tree. It delivered its mimic of a song birds greatest hits of calls.

I did my usual morning walk. I walk five blocks and then turn left. Five blocks and another turn. I keep doing this until I end up back at my house. It’s about 1.25 miles. Of course if my pedometer was working correctly I could give an exact distance.

The only people out at this time of day are usually the guys delivery papers, a couple people walking or jogging (usually more walkers) and those early birds that need to be at work waiting on the bus to come by. Also present was a three-quarters moon. It was very pretty.

On the walk I go past a house that is being renovated. They been working on this house for at least a year and it seems they are still not finished. I would like to see the inside when it is done.

I write this as I’m sitting in my back yard on my bench. It’s a few minutes before seven. Sam is outside eating some grass and rolling around in the dirt. Now he is rubbing up against the recycling bin.

It is certainly a peaceful and wonderful start to the day. After all it should be because today is my birthday.

1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

Happy birthday, part 1!