Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Can You Say Hypocracy?

Ahh I thought you could.

What could have made Senator Craig do such a thing? I don't could it be . . . Satan (with apologies to Dana Carvey)

Yet another Republican who cannot seem to keep his zipper zipped. And this from the "family values" party. The party that wants to pass a constitutional amendment against gay marriage.

Here's some reaction from both the left and the right from a story in the Post:

But conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewit said: "Craig's behavior is so reckless and repulsive that an immediate exit is required ... He has to go."

The left-leaning Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington asked the Senate Ethics Committee to reprimand Craig, citing the portion of the Senate's rules manual saying lawmakers could run afoul of the chamber for "improper conduct which may reflect upon the Senate."

Here's a link to a discussion on the Post website. It has some pretty funny lines about the Senator's arrest.

I think this question and answer pretty well sums up my feelings on this:

Former GOP Staffer from Idaho: Apologies for one more Sen. Craig comment, but if police misunderstood his behavior, why plead guilty? Especially two months after being arrested. I could understand if he was a naive young man intimidated by the " authority" (i.e. the police) but we're talking a multi-termed U.S. Senator. "...Should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously." Arrested June 11, plead guilty August 8; and he didn't think during that time to talk to legal counsel? Regardless of his "orientation," what's understood is that he was arrested, and two months later he plead guilty to charges pressed against him -- that's the bottom line, don't try to take the public for fools.

Jonathan Weisman: I absolutely agree. Not only did he plead guilty, but the police report also says he flashed his Senate business card as if to say, "Do you know who I am?" Sen. Craig has been waiting for two months, knowing the news would come out. I'd have expected either a better alibi or a better confession.

I'll just add: Yes, indeed what a hypocrite.

No comments: