Thursday, August 16, 2007

A life well lived

This is a very interesting story about the life of Brooke Astor. These couple of quotes capture a very remarkable person

On inspection tours in crumbling neighborhoods, she arrived in Chanel dresses, pearl necklaces and diamonds. She told the New York Times, “If I go up to Harlem or down to Sixth Street and I’m not dressed up or I’m not wearing my jewelry, then the people feel I’m talking down to them.”

In the early 1990s, she helped start a furniture bank to give chairs, tables and other goods to thousands of formerly homeless families. “How can you build a new life if you have nothing to sit on?” she said.


And she was so right on this. How do you start a new life without the very basics.

It seems that these type of philanthropists are well to be blunt dieing off. I think it is a shame. We need more people like her in the world.

No comments: